Announcing the 2012 James R. McCormick Scholarship
Download and Print and Application
The Jersey Shore Public Relations and Advertising Associates announces its 2012 James R. McCormick Memorial Scholarship Awards program, open to college students residing in Ocean or Monmouth County studying communication.
The deadline for this year's scholarship is Friday, January 18, 2013.
Winners will be notified in February, and presented with the scholarship award at the March 2013 JSPRAA membership luncheon.
Since 1983, JSPRAA has held the James R. McCormick Memorial Scholarship Award program to recognize the outstanding achievements of communication students and to provide them with financial assistance.
Jim McCormick was an active JSPRAA member who was killed in a car accident in September of 1983. At the time of his death, Jim served the residents of the Monmouth County area as the director of Public Information and Tourism. He had also worked as a reporter for both the Register in Shrewsbury and the Asbury Park Press in Neptune. In his honor, JSPRAA awards several scholarships annually. To date, over $110,000 has been awarded to Monmouth and Ocean County students.
Scholarship Application Qualification and Rules
To qualify for the scholarship, candidates must be:
To apply for the scholarship, candidates must be nominated by an instructor in public relations, journalism, advertising, radio and/or television broadcasting, or an active, dues-paying member of JSPRAA.
- Pursuing a degree or certified course of study in an accredited junior/community college, college, university or professional trade school.
- Pursuing communications, public relations, journalism or advertising as a major course of study. Applications from candidates pursuing major studies in other fields, but whose main interest is in the communications profession, will also be considered.
- Candidates must be entering the second of a two-year course of study, or the second through fourth year of a four-year course of study. Graduate students are not eligible.
- Any candidate who has received JSPRAA scholarship aid for the second year of study in a two-year program will not be eligible for further aid unless the candidate matriculates in a four-year program.
- Candidates must be residents of Monmouth or Ocean County. The location of their school is immaterial.
All scholarship packets must include:
- A scholarship application
- A letter from the nominator certifying the applicant's qualifications and professional career goals
- A letter from the applicant stating his/her career goals and what receiving a JSPRAA scholarship will do to assist in achieving these goals
- A current resume
- A transcript of grades from the applicant's present educational institution. An unofficial copy is acceptable.
Applicants should mail scholarship packets to:
P.O. Box 8515
Red Bank, N.J. 07701
Applications must be received no later than Friday, January 18, 2013. There are no extensions. Winners will be notified in February, and presented with the scholarship award at the March 2013 JSPRAA membership luncheon.
For more information or to request a scholarship application, contact Greg Webber, JSPRAA 2012 President 732-842-1616 or
, or visit www.jspraa.com to download an application and eligibility requirements.